Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Baked Cinnamon Donuts Recipe


Donuts #1


I have been mucking around with this recipe for the last few weeks, and I have finally cracked it. The challenge, you see, was to create the perfect donut recipe using items that I would already have in my kitchen pantry. I didn't want to be rushing down to the supermarket trying to buy yoghurts or buttermilk, or essentially anything that came in a plastic container, because we are once again trying to be as plastic free as possible here in the Jorth household this year.


We're also living a year of frugality, trying to both boost our bank account *and* be as green as possible. Everything - even donut recipes - now need to meet our green frugality standards!


So you can imagine how excited I was when I created a lovely green donut recipe, with all ingredients coming in either recyclable glass or paper. But the best thing is the donuts have that essential stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth-ness that only a really good cup of tea or coffee can dislodge. It's the number one thing I look for in a donut, and now the perfect recipe is mine, all mine! Cue evil laugh, and get baking, kids!


Baked Cinnamon Donuts
60 grams butter, melted
1/2 cup raw caster sugar
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tsp nutmeg, or more to taste
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk


Cinnamon Topping:
20 grams butter, melted
1/2 cup raw caster sugar
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon


1 - Preheat oven to 180 C. Generously coat a donut pan with some of the melted butter.


2 - Combine the caster sugar, plain flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a bowl and mix well.


3 - Mix the egg, milk and butter together in a small jug. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, and pour in the egg mixture. Stir well to combine.


4 - Carefully, using both a spoon and a knife, add the mixture to the donut pans, making sure you don't overfill them. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes, or until golden brown.


5 - Meanwhile, add the raw caster sugar and cinnamon together in a shallow bowl, and mix well. When the donuts are fresh out of the oven, dip each donut top in the melted butter, then press into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on a rack to cool, then eat - that's if you can wait that long!


Makes 8 donuts.


Donuts #2



15 comments:

  1. I will have to try. I must admit my previous attempts have been a bit disastrous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much jorth!! I'm dying to give this a go, doughnuts are my guilty secret lust-after ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, agree completely with Carolyn, donut pan added to the shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the philosophy and the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! I love doughnuts but hate the idea of deep frying them - I'll definitely be giving these baked ones a try (just have to buy a doughnut pan now.......)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! If I don't have a donut pan, do you think I could do free-form donuts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel,

      According to my vast internet research, a lot of people use muffin tins to make them if they don't have a donut pan. I haven't tried them myself (I bought the donut pan as I was hosting a Hanukah celebration and was trying to be legit!) but it seems to be a popular alternative. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous9:16 pm

    They look amazing! I'm definitely going to try this recipe soon - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! I must try this with my girls! Where did you get your donut pan from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serena! I got mine from eBay - there were loads to choose from, and I hadn't been able to find any in any sort of cookware store I had visited.

      Delete
  9. Think I'd better bookmark this one to try later!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe - they look delicious!
    You probably know the blog zero waste home, just incase you don´t,here´s the link:http://www.zerowastehome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. We loved the donuts! We've made them three times already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my I want to make this recipe. I was wondering if I could make buns instead or use a muffin tray. I don't want to buy yet another tray ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. In modernity, most RMA requests are completed through the Internet, so having the ability
    to process RMAs has become reviews a crucial aspect of the tech world. Upon receiving the
    initial request, the representative, aided by the help of reverse logistics technology.
    become reviews

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.