Ginger Citrus Salad

Ginger Citrus Salad #1

My dad has a sliding scale he uses in order to determine how ill somebody is. Off-colour means that you're not quite yourself. Pasty usually means that not only have you turned a delicate shade of green but that you need to be tucked up into bed pronto, preferably with a bucket at arms reach. Crook indicates that you truly are sick, and somebody should call you an ambulance forthwith. Heheh, I love my Dad!

I have been feeling a little off-colour myself this week. Not sick, exactly, but not well either. I couldn't quite figure out what was wrong with me - all I knew was that my body was craving something, but I couldn't nut out what it was. Then my glance fell upon our fruit bowl. Suddenly it all came to me: I needed grapefruit! And ginger! And oranges! And boy oh boy, I needed them now!

10 minutes and some deft knife work later, I had a ginger citrus salad before me. Reader, I am ashamed to say that as soon as I had finished snapping these pics, I wolfed it down in the most unladylike manner possible. But it was good, so good - exactly what I needed. In the Dad Sliding Scale, I am back on top with all pistons firing. Phew!
Ginger Citrus Salad #2

Ginger Citrus Salad

1 ruby grapefruit
1 orange
small knob of ginger
1/4 teaspoon raw caster sugar (or to taste)

1 - Using a sharp knife, remove the peel from the grapefruit and orange, then cut the fruit into slices. Place into a bowl.

2 - Remove the skin from the ginger, and grate a 1cm piece on top of the fruit. Toss to combine so the ginger mingles in nicely with the fruit juices.

3 - Scatter the sugar on top, then munch away.

Bri  – (2:30 pm)  

I love this scale of your dads, so good! I like the looks of your salad, I actually ordered a salad last night for the second time in my life! Must be something in the air....

janessewandtell  – (6:12 pm)  

Sounds lovely particularly if you use ginger rather than garlic (sorry couldn't resist!)

Off to the supermarket to get some oranges

Jorth!  – (6:32 pm)  

Oh my word! Thanks, janesewandtell, for alerting me to that rather embarassing typo. All fixed up now, and no garlic in sight!

(Geez, I was feeling wonkier today than I realised!)

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! Make my day!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009