Friday, August 19, 2011

Jorth: 1, Seagulls: 0

Bike Basket

Q: What has two legs, two wheels and a big daft grin on her face?
A: Me, on my family bike ride this Sunday!

We had a family meeting last night, and it was laid down that nobody was allowed to be sick this weekend. Sniffs, snuffles, sneezes and any other ailments beginning with 'sn' are completely and utterly banned. It's going to be sunny and 19 C on Sunday, and I am determined to be cycling around it it, breathing in great big lungfuls of scented spring air, and generally succumbing to spring fever. And we're going to have a picnic!

Previously we used to buy some sausages, and find some of those free bbqs scattered around town, and descend with delight to have a sausage-in-bread-with-tomato-sauce lunch. But those pesky free bbqs take forever to heat up, and when they do it's a kind of lukewarm heat, just enough to bring the snags to room temp. It was a sad sight, my friends, the three of us huddled around the bbq plates, begging the thing to cook our lunch as a small crowd of animals gathered, quite confident that our snags would never be cooked through, and we would hurl the sausages to them in disgust. Yup, those knowledgeable seagulls had seen it all before.

Now, if there's one thing I hate, it's being outsmarted by a seagull. So in my bike's wicker basket there shall be chargrilled veggie and camembert baguettes, a roasted pumpkin and chickpea salad and cupcakes for afters. Hmmm - I'd better ride extra kilometres to work all that off!

Hope you have a great weekend wherever you are, full of sunshine and cupcakes! I'm super excited about mine. I might even break out a summer dress, despite the risk of scaring innocent passersby with my blindingly white legs. If anybody complains then I'll just offer them a cupcake. Cupcakes make everything better, according to Grumbles, and I must say I'm in full agreement.

Oh dear, I've begun to ramble. Must.Get.Off.Computer. Have a fun weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Have a wonderful time! Sounds like the perfect ramble.... and the perfect lunch!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.