Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Super Pink Dress

Pink Dress #1Is this, or is this not the pinkest dress you have ever seen? Well, it's gloomy here in Melbourne, so I figured it was my civic duty to inject a bright bolt of colour into the dull grey days.

That and I just really, really like pink this winter!

The fabric is a merino double knit from The Fabric Store. It's almost a ponti, but doesn't quite have as much stretch. I found this out the hard way when I tried the dress on half-way through construction, and then had that awful moment of panic when I realised that I couldn't get the darn thing off! Thankfully Grumbles was on hand to wrestle me out of it!

Never mind - it was nothing that a few hours minutes of unpicking and then re-sewing along a smaller seam allowance wouldn't fix. Although remind me to never unpick stretch stitching again if I can help it - that stuff is almost impossible to get undone (why take the easy road when you can take the hard road etc etc)

I still have to do a bit of a wriggle to get into the dress, but once it's on everything is fine. If I ever make this dress again (which I will - maybe bright yellow next time?) I'll make sure I choose a knit with a decent two-way stretch instead of just one way. Lesson learnt.
Project Details

Pattern: Vogue Wardrobe 1020, View C (same pattern I used for my linen top)
Fabric: 1.4m of 150cm wide merino double knit from The Fabric Store
Notions: 1cm wide elastic for side gathering.

Once again I made a few alterations: I left out the zip, used elastic to do the side gathers and lengthened the sleeves. I'm so glad I bought this pattern - I think I'll be making these dresses and tops for the rest of my days, that's how comfy and snazzy they are!
Pink Dress #4

19 comments:

  1. Wow, its stunning! Such a beautiful colour! Yes it's so gloomy in Melbourne lately. Can't wait for spring xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor. Love it! Such a great dress, fantastic color. I would so wear something like this. Now I want one too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh it is very pink and as I suffering the gloom in Melbourne too I am very greatful for your efforts especially when worn with RED glasses!!! I have don that with knits too . I think that when I buy a knit the given in my head is that it will be easy to sew and so I dont make all the cnecessary checks ie using that stretch guide on the back on pattern envelopes. !! Now that I have confessed this maybe I will improve . The dress looks fine and yes unpicking knits is a real pain!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot pink - now that is unconventional in Melbourne! I eschew brights having grown in Brisbane - the town of clashing shades of jewel and florals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Love it!!! looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous colour.......love the dress.....looks beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's amazing!! Just what Melbourne needs right now. I like the idea of a bright yellow version too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its gorgeous - you look lovely in pink! So nice on a grey old day.

    (I feel your pain on the unpicking ... I had a recent encounter with black lightening stitch on black ... blergh)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it - that pattern's a winner. I'm not sure I can even remember what the sun feels like!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look fab in Pink . The pattern doesn't look a patch on your dress .

    ReplyDelete
  11. A traffic stopping dress if i ever saw one!
    Hot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love with your pink dress and want one just the same!! what a mood brightener :-) Perfect for grey or sunny days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate pink for/on myself, but you make this look amazing! Yellow would be awesome too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it. Love it. LOVE IT!!!

    Love your blog too - bought a few patterns based on your inspiration, now just to find some good-quality jersey :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks really fabulous on you!! I am so happy to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the dress, the colour is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can only agree with all the others. Both color and dress suit you so well! Adorable! I daydream of the dress ever since I read the post... but the bright pink wouldn't suit me. But... hmm. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the colour and the fit. Your photos are also very cute! nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so gorgeous! Do you use a serger for knits?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.