Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Autumn love

Autumn 1

Autumn 2

Autumn 3

Things I love about autumn (in no particular order):
- baked apples
- roasted pumpkin
- school holidays hanging out with Grumbles, playing cards and lying on the bed telling each other stories
- hearing the rain on the roof knowing I am tucked up safely and snug inside
- knitting without sweaty paws
- planning which coat to sew (and never actually getting around to it!)
- cool and crisp mornings that burst into glorious sun-filled afternoons
- the change in the light and how quickly the day fades into night but still with the decency to provide a breathtaking sunset
- the first breath fog (also usually the day you realised you should have packed your hat and mittens)
- soup simmering away on the stove, for the third time that week (um, different soups people!)
- the prospect of new boots
- shuffling through piles of leaves with a giggle and a skip, and not minding the stares I am given (there are limited weeks you can do this in, and damned if I'm letting any sourpusses deny me my fun)
- getting a decent bike park at work, as all the fair weather cyclists disappear
- the NGV's Winter Masterpieces
- hot pies with sauce at the footy (oooh, the Hawks are looking good this year!)
- quinces

Have I missed any?

8 comments:

  1. Ah, yes autumnal bliss!!! My favourtie season - for the reasons you've mentioned. Add chestnuts roasting on an open fire - okay, it's sounds like a song but I still do roast them on my specially made open fire that my dad made for me - he was special person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn is my favourite too. I'd have to add - Being able to light the fire, especially on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You love autumn! Enjoy it - I think it has kicked in particularly early this year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say shuffling through the leaves too :) I LOVE doing that and there are piles of Oak leaves on my way to the train station, great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn is my favourite season too. I love layering, stockings and scarves. I love wintry foods, i like crunching leaves, i love the colours of nature and knitting at this time of year.

    I'm trying not to be a fair weather cyclist but that rain yesterday was a little too much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Socks are my favourite thing about autumn, and pulling out the quilts and blankets for the bed.

    Autumn is my favourite season by far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh don't forget flannelette sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.