Friday, February 26, 2010

Shapes

For fun this week I've decided to join in You Capture, run by the fabulous I Should Be Folding Laundry (and is that the best blog name ever? Methinks so!). This weeks theme is Shapes. As soon as I saw it, my mind's eye flashed up these:

I am such a sucker for 50's costume jewellery brooches. I am not safe trolling through the brooch listings on eBay if there is a credit card anywhere in my immediate vicinity. I can only attest to my supreme amounts of will power that my collection is no bigger than what is shown above. That and having a mortgage. Bwahahah!

There's just something so amazing about the shapes. I am a particular fan of the flowers and sunbursts - they are the ones I tend to be drawn to the most. But my absolute favourite would have to be the black floral cluster. This was given to me by my aunty on the day on my Nana's funeral. Just before the service began my aunt quickly went around to each of the female grandchildren and presented us with a brooch each. I cannot even begin to describe how glad I was to have something tangible to remember my Nana by.

You'd have liked my Nana. She was funny and kind and considerate. She had a great way of ever so slightly widening her eyes and raising her eyebrows as you were regaling her with your latest tall tale (but you could tell in her mind she was thinking "Reeeeeeealllly!"), and when you had finished she would never fail to offer you a lolly from the crystal dish that was always sitting on her coffee table. She was a woman who always wore a dress or a skirt, each outfit adorned with a carefully chosen brooch from her collection. It was only in her last years that she began to wear trousers (pink tracky daks!) and I think that, more than anything else, made me realise that she was tired, and ready to go on.

Every time I wear my brooch, I think of her. Card shark (as long as the cards were Euchre), knitter extraordinaire, mother of 6 scally wag boys and one right-hand-man girl, beloved friend to many and - on a really hot stinky day - shandy lover. If my life is filled with as much joy and friendship was hers was, then I'll die a happy lady. And Nana? I'm really looking forward to seeing you again.

11 comments:

  1. That post really pulled at my heartstrings and reminded me of my Nanna who passed away a couple of years ago.

    What a lovely idea to give the grandkids a brooch. I want that to be done at my funeral (here's hoping I survive long enough to have grandkids!).

    Your Nanna sounds so loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning... I am a brooch fan also! Jorth I have been reading your blog for a little while now but have never said hi. So, hi! I enjoy your posts and your homemade fashions are fabulous. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's lovely Jorth - and what a beautiful symbol to wear on her funeral day - your Nana would have loved all her girls wearing her brooches. My husbands Nonno wore a hat everyday of his life. When he passed on it was bequeathed to my husband who shared his Nonno's name. It was a touching gesture and an item that we cherish.

    I wonder what my children will keep of mine? Sewing machine...overlocker and coverstitch...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! And hello to you Tess - I'm glad you like my humble ol' blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. Some Nana's really rock. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before I even read the words, my first thought was that those brooches remind me of my Nana. These are some really great shapes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful photo! not only are they a great example of unique shapes...but they have all sorts of circles and ovals and everything that make up the overall shape. awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear grandmother lived two states away so her visits were infrequent, but highly anticipated. She loved costume jewelry and always brought her complete, large and messy jewelry box with her so I could have the fun of straightening it out. She said no one else did it as well. Your sweet post reminded me so much of her....Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post. My Nanna, who was a Nannie to us, had a lovely collection of brooches and I have one of hers. I love it and I have very fond memories of her wearing it. I too can't wait to see my Nannie again. In fact, spooky and all as this is, I dream about her very often, always in the context of what is going on in my life at that time, and she is always offering words of advice.

    And I keep meaning to say, have you been to McDonalds lately? Or am I imagining things and you have no idea what I am talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Yeah! Nanna brooches!!

    I have a bunch of brooches that belonged to my Nanna, and I've added to them with plenty of my own. I go through phases of wearing them alot, then tucking them away for the next time.

    Thanks for the memories...and I agree with Violet above - is that your little sweetie I note on the McD ad?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Nanna and your Nanna could have been best friends.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.