Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Year of the rat? Year of the pig? Nah, it's the year of the challenge!

I've been feeling for quite some time that there was something missing in my life. Nothing huge, just this nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right. Something was definitely lacking, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Then late last year I bought my new camera, and felt a surge of excitement. I had a new toy, and I was going to use it to the very best of its (oh, and my) ability. I immediately sat down and started investigating courses, and would burble at the Galumph about all my big plans and dreams at every opportunity.

Then it dawned on me what exactly had been missing: challenges.

Before I go any further, let me tell you now that being a mum has it's fair share of challenges. At certain stages it feels like you're still reeling from coping with one before that next one comes along and counter-punches you in the guts. Still, I'm not sure if I've just gotten better at rolling with the punches or that I have a relatively chilled out child (both, I suspect), but I had found myself in a bit of a rut. A stay-at-home mum, doing the kinder rounds, washing load after load of laundry, cooking meals every night, organising playdates, looking after everyone except myself kind of rut.

A rut that was snug, and comfortable, and secure, sure, but still a rut. A rut sans challenges. And I'm the kind of girl who needs a challenge. Something to sink my teeth into, to stimulate my mind, and get me thinking about the big wide world outside my front door.

So let the trumpeters trump and the herald angels hark: 2009 will be all about the challenges for ol' Jorthy. The challenge resolutions are as follows:

1 - Master that camera. Take more photos. Take better photos.

2 - Write more. And make it different, and creative, and interesting. Don't let a lack of confidence stand in my way. It's only the internets, after all. Nobody is going to die if I put up a less-then-well thought out post, so just buck up and do it, orright?

3 - Get back into the French lessons. Hmm, maybe I could make this a bilingual blog, a blog de bilingue? Perhaps, peut-ĂȘtre!

4 - Stop caffienating. Because then you get over-stimulated, and then you don't sleep and then you wake up grouchy, and then nothing gets done. Two cups of tea a day and that's it, missy!

5 - Continue plastic-free, but also get more into precycling. Jam jars are my friends.

6 - Stop making resolutions. Between the French and the camera and the courses and the saving the world one less container at a time and looking after Grumbles and Galumph, I really think that's quite enough to go on with.

Oh, and before I forget: Happy New Year, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. They look like great challenges! I particularly like the one about precycling :) I do pretty well but there's definitely room for improvement.
    Happy New YEar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 2009! I can completely relate to how you're feeling as I am in a similar state. I'm looking into classes right now - I definitely need to learn something new to obsess over. In a way I feel like I'm just beating myself up with needing a challenge, but it's the only way I thrive. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does seem stale doesn't to be doing all those things. I fear, I think, that time will have marched on and I'll come out the other side and the world will have passed me by. It's an irrational fear, but that's what it feels like on my lowest days. I think though your plans to keep the brain ticking - even while cooking and washing and cooking and washing again - are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous photo. good luck with your challenges i am sure you will be out of your comfortable rut soon and seeking more challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i, for one, am just glad we'll be hearing (and seeing) more from you. happy 2009!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! Make my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.